No scholarships are available for the MEME cohort of 2019. Our programme aims to apply for funding by the European Commission for later cohorts. The information below is relevant for students from cohort 2018 and preceding cohorts.
In previous years, a number of consortium scholarships were available (for Category A and for Category B students). Consortium scholarship were financed by the four European partner universities participating in MEME and covered:
- the MEME participation fee of € 9,000 per year (for Category A students) or € 4,500 per year (for Category B students);
- a contribution of € 12,000 to accommodation and living expenses (in 24 monthly payments of € 500);
- a contribution of € 500 (resp. € 1,000) per year to travel and installation costs for scholarship holders whose country of residence is situated less than 4,000 km (resp. 4,000 km or more) away from Groningen.
EMJMD scholarships have been made available by the European Commission.
An EMJMD scholarship can only be awarded to Category A students and it represented a total value of almost € 50,000. In a nutshell, an EMJMD scholarship covers:
- the MEME participation fee of € 9,000 per year (for Category A students);
- a contribution of € 24,000 to accommodation and living expenses (in 24 monthly payments of € 1,000);
- € 1,000 of installation costs;
- a contribution to the travel expenses of € 2,000 (resp. € 3,000) per year for scholarship holders whose country of residence is situated less than 4,000 km (resp. 4,000 km or more) away from Groningen.
Due to EU regulations, EMJMD scholarship holders face some restrictions. Most importantly, they lose (part of) their scholarships when spending study periods in their country of residence or if they stay for more than 3 months outside the MEME consortium countries. For detailed information on EMJMD scholarships (and the rules and regulations associated with these scholarships) please consult the Erasmus+ Programme Guide.
Decisions on scholarships are mainly based on the ranking of students during the application and selection procedure, and only the highest ranked students qualify for these scholarships. Therefore, the application procedure for these scholarships is an integral part of the selection procedure. Students wishing to compete for a scholarship just have to indicate this on the MEME application form. Holders of a scholarship may lose their scholarship if they do not make sufficient progress. The conditions under which this may occur and the procedure followed in such a case is specified in the Student Agreement.
Self-funding MEME students who cannot afford the MEME participation fee can apply for a partial participation fee waiver. If such a waiver is granted, the participation fee is reduced by 50%. Hence the participation fee is reduced to €4,500 per year for Category A students and to €2,250 per year for Category B students. The number of participation fee waivers per cohort is limited. Interested students should contact the administrative coordinator for further details.